Re: When feats fail catastrophically

From: donald_at_cBgzE1ovJCigXW6J6jxFjfcslX0KzUOT-NUTQrBNv2Jw9fOhPvmGkGbyhXr05no_ge6F9
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:31:43 GMT

In message <f5vkju+lknt_at_eGroups.com> "newsalor" writes:

>Anyway, in the context of HeroQuest, I would not make a PC "slip in
>the mud" or anything like that. I don't want the PCs looking foolish.
>In the only complete defeat in magic that we've had, our humakti tried
>to heal the landscape, drive away the undead. I didn't notice that it
>was healing at the time, but anyway our purification ritual didn't go
>too well. But it wasn't like our humakti fumbled and missed the
>sacrificial cow, (thus looking foolish) but the miasma of undeath was
>just surpirisingly strong and the sacrificial cow rose from the dead.
>I even gave the PC the choice of taking the blow himself and blocking
>the released death-power or loosing it on the community.
>
>Anyway, it's not cool, if the PCs look foolish.

Eh? Why on Glorantha not?

If a PC fumbles at emulating their god then they will look foolish to the people they are with. I agree with Rob it can be overdone, you certainly don't want the PCs looking foolish every time they fail at something.

I was making the comment in the context of an extended contest rather than specifically a heroquest although I don't see it matters much.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/