Re: Common Religions, common magic, and otherworlds

From: rune.writer <rune.writer_at_meOtDImKFR4oN1V1nvRwVD-sODidyku_c3eSQ8oWCPEF2dI-0Nna_tonaYvzlDLa>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 00:29:28 -0000

This reminds me of a HW game I ran. For some reason, the players (Heortlings wandering through Prax) decided they needed to climb a palm tree. IIRC, to spy out the land.

EVERY player who tried to climb that tree fumbled (and ended up flying butt first into a patch of prickly pear, 'cos I'm sadistic:) ). I gave the tree a "Resist Being Climbed" skill of 14, but every player rolled 20.

In character, they reasoned that OBVIOUSLY it was a magic tree and they had offended its spirit somehow, leading to a fun, ad hoc, quest to appease the magic tree.

The players' comments later were, IMHO, spot on when they stated that the characters were young, ignorant (of the wider world) and hide bound. Ergo, superstitious.

Of course, this was the group that centered around a magic healing bowl, that the players KNEW wasn't magic (it was just a nice going-away gift from the Chalana Arroy priestess to one of the PCs), but the characters just KNEW was filled with the White Healer's blessings.