Darksense carried by darkness, brilliant!

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_ElJE3ebP__UdLK2yyTMCi-_egKoZiNvDdN35488nT8U6Q9mQzQ1wgpry8ILesA76D_K>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 23:13:45 -0000

A copy from Gloranthan Digest, since I think you guys should see this too. Chris is a genious. I hope I captured his idea properly.

Subject : Darksense carried by darkness, brilliant! ----- Message Text -----
[Chris Lemens]
<snip>
> Darkness is an element. Darkness is not merely the absence of light.
> Sound waves move through air. Darksense waves move through darkness,
> which is just as much an actual tangible substance as light, air,
> water, and earth...

What a brainwave! That is excellent. Darksense as real world sonar has always seemed too technical and based on our world's natural law. The logic and function of Sonar is good, but obviously on Glorantha Sonar (or rather darksense) is carried on the Darkness (the element).

That makes the troll weakness during daytime make much more sense. Othervice both the trolls and trollkin could just wear blindfolds and rely on their sonar during the day as well. No darkness = no darksense. The mistress race trolls are almost blind and dark trolls have to make do with sight that is inferior to that of humans. Trollkin are good in twilight (having well developed eyes) but can't stand full daylight.

Excellent! A copy of this should totally go on to the World of Glorantha list. I'll send it.

        -Adept