Re: Ernalda Options

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_gRiTCuA456u6ApimqRijLL8jZci91sQPjpKgM7I4OTSeM5urXX8F7ubV5aGyiTpPhY>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 20:05:07 -0000

One that I've been thinking about recently is Ernalda as transmitter of culture. That is, women have traditionally imparted a large part of the basics of culture to the next generation. By the time men get their hands on kids, the young'uns have already absorbed a lot of basics of the culture, fundamental stories, and so on.

You could call this a 'mother goose' role, but that may trivialize it.  I suppose to some extent Skovara (is that the right name for the entertainer/puppeteer) does this, but I think there would be an aspect, even if not normally worshipped directly, that would have this function. Get rid of all the LM worshippers, and most of the old stories and genealogies would still get handed down....

Another, which may be Ernalda or may be the grannies, is food preservation/storage. To some extent in heortling culture this is covered by Harst. But I would think underground storage pits and root cellars would belong to the earth, and those have been used in so many cultures I'd be surprised if the Heortlings did not use them. Plus there is an aspect to this of planning against hard times in the future that is associated with women in many cultures (making sure the family can always survive, no matter what else happens).

Regards;

-Bryan