Re: Darksense carried by darkness, brilliant!

From: Greg <Greg_at_QCAtSzbfUXqV_zSXnp9UNflSBZeJs8fh5Uyj20KMQhDqd12iFNnOhwPq1a7f_JsB6sV_2nS>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 21:19:36 -0800

YGWV rune.writer wrote:

> I just bought the MRQ Uz book, which is written from the POV of an EWF
> researcher (for the culture) and a God Learner (for the religions).
> The book states categorically that Darksense is sonar.

Of course, sonar = SOund Navigation And Ranging, which is not entirely incorrect. But the medium through which it moves is not air or water, it is darkness.

> >From such POVs, darkness probably wouldn't be recognized as an
> element, and such statements would be an example of cultural bias.
> This, of course, makes for some interesting ways to mess with players
> who read the book and think it's all sonar.
> GM: "You're in a cave and you see a troll."
> PC: "Make lots of noise to confuse its sonar(Darksense)!"

I don't think this wold be certain of working anyway. Even with the relatively crude sonar in WWII a skilled sonar operator could tell the differences between a school of fish, temperature variants, a whale and a submarine.

--
Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.