Re: Left Bank Right Bank

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_BnuW3pzWyRB3kbw0gwSu9OL4_2jYuqrYHzDsDYS3A_fzXiIyz91Os-BaKTZBIOeI87o>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 21:56:54 -0000

Sam Elliot:
> Ladies and Gentlemen, the EWF cities on the banks of the CS River
are
> denoted as Left Bank / Right Bank. Presumably, this relates to the
dirty
> great big dragon which lies there - left and right of the spine? Or
> divisions of the empire? Different aspects of draconic behaviour /
magic?

> I'm wondering if there are any *published* or otherwise established
> explanations for this? I hope not :)
>
> My current thinking is that it is akin to Paris' left and right
banks, just
> because I like the idea.

I'd have thought that this was a standard way of describing the position of cities. I've been doing research into the cities on the Volga and they are described as left bank or right bank.

So, if you are heading downstream, left bank is on the left and right bank is on the right. I would assume.

Maybe there's a more mystical, draconic explanation, but I doubt it. There are sometimes mundane reasons for things, you know :-)

See Ya

Simon