Re: A few thoughts still on chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_dEjiyVTjfigvC2c0Jmqor4R6-Z9MTn80zW1-J2SmJjG6vtB1-rogv7WDPOBtGb9NSTq>
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 23:41:38 +1200

Mikko:

>An odaylan devotee captures a magnificient stag, parhaps twice as
>large as a normal one, and eats it heart. The stag happened to be
>tainted with chaos, and as a result the hunter grows stag's horns from
>his forehead.

Merely eating something tainted with chaos does not confer a chaotic feature. Eating something that is chaotic may confer a chaotic feature but the odds of doing so are so small as to be comparable to getting mad cow disease.

Secondly what is the nature of the chaotic stag? The horns are a property of its stagness rather than its chaoticness. Therefore acquiring a chaotic from a stag of chaos will not confer any stag properties.

A far more likely scenario is that an Odaylan will grow horns from being a rapist.

>Now we know that a tainted individual will know about it, but the rest
>of his community doesn't automatically. What if the poor tainted
>hunter manages to convince people that the horns are a blessing from
>Odayla, and become a holy figure?

The Gods say otherwise and inflict divine wrath (cf Thunder Rebels p78-79). This falls primarily on the community until the Godis call the gods and find out. Then to remove the curse, they summon the agents of reprisal against the Odaylan.

>Does this happen? Does the odaylan's magic, and his relation to his
>deity continue to work normally?

If he has become chaotic then he has lost whatever connection he has with Odayla or any other gods of the Storm Tribe (there is an exception in the case of Nysaloran Illumination). Hence his divine magic won't work.

--Peter Metcalfe