Re: A few thoughts still on chaos

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_3-D_fCJcr4GsW0sGHlYE_tQS7sls30zOahfyhSQOdgC3QkM1OzwK3M5EuMdI5X8aVl1>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 11:04:37 +1200

At 05:30 a.m. 9/07/2007, you wrote:

>Me> Merely eating something tainted with chaos does not confer
> > a chaotic feature. Eating something that is chaotic may
> > confer a chaotic feature but the odds of doing so are so small
> > as to be comparable to getting mad cow disease.
>
>Unless, of course, the Odaylan eats the stag heart to capture some of
>its strength, in which case some Cahoticness may well transfer.

He may become tainted with chaos but I doubt that he can acquire a chaotic feature. Far more Lunars eat Walktapi on a regular basis yet the odds of sprouting tentacles are well down on the list.

> > The Gods say otherwise and inflict divine wrath (cf Thunder
> > Rebels p78-79). This falls primarily on the community until the
> > Godis call the gods and find out. Then to remove the curse,
> > they summon the agents of reprisal against the Odaylan.

>Sounds reasonable, assuming the gods are all-knowing.

Well they would know certain things about their initiates including when they have lost faith. Becoming chaotic is a good example of that.

> I would say
>that they would not realise he was chaotic until he started doing
>chaotic things in secret.

They wouldn't know whether he was sprouting horns? They can't look into his heart?

>But there are enough examples in published sources of good cultists
>becoming chaotic in secret and staying in their cult to oppose the
>idea of immediately losing all magic and all contact with the deity.

You might be better off listing these examples. The only ones I can think of are Humakti whose god does not oppose chaos.

--Peter Metcalfe