Re: Language and Culture

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_chdqSf4h1I_dEKexKmTHFDKUszgkWSjaBtsg4PIbhtcUNLiW9tjz1dAfQMhj8ni2m-e>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 17:23:32 +1200

At 04:35 p.m. 9/07/2007, you wrote:

>I think this may help answer one Gloranthan question: how could many
>of the cultures that survived the Darkness not realize that the Dawn
>had arrived?

This strikes me as a suggestion that spoken language or cultural attitude shapes reality, which is dubious. I prefer to think that until the Sunstop, the perception of the Sky World was dependent on having a harmonious relationship with the Sky (regardless of whether this relationship was taught by the Unity Council, Yuthuppa, Zzabur or Vashanti). Once the Sunstop occurred, the Sky became objective in reality for Glorantha (save for benightened places such as Bliss in Ignorance).

On a linguistic note, I shall do nothing more than to point out to Language Log's posts about the Piraha.

http://tinyurl.com/2r848r

--Peter Metcalfe