Re: A few thoughts still on chaos

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_vaAAx9IqttqZjcMpsIuLJqSU6X63VfVTksEDMBGrD9vmsAiWm2GPaT6WHW9lCx98cuoD_>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 08:44:42 -0700

>> Does his leadership of worship to Odayla change? If he still leads
>> worship in the "proper", un-chaotic way, then the followers
>> shouldn't have a problem, even though he's got a chaos taint.
>
> This is what I was thinking. If becoming chaotic (horns and all)
> doesn't stop him from worshipping Odayla, then he will continue to
> sacrifice and worship normally. It's just the idea of a normal person
> with a chaos feature leading the clan in worship that bothers me. I'm
> thinking that this would lead to a small but cumulative chanse of
> others recieving a chaos taint.

I don't think chaos can be "caught" that way - If the rites and worship haven't changed, then the followers won't be worshipping chaos.

It still won't be a great time for the clan: the anti-chaos bias of the storm tribe will kick in, and trials and tribulations will abound. But the followers of Stag-Horn won't be "contracting" chaos by listening to him (unless he's a Nysaloran riddler, of course). It's when they start following those strange additions to the rites that he comes up with that things might get hairy for them - slippery slope and all that.

Say Stag-horn starts saying "Eat the soul of your prey - don't put it in a charm, but integrate it into your body with this simple ritual". Now "Prey-Eating" happens to be a simple, but effective, chaos rite. It integrates the spirit (as in HW), giving the hunter better abilities and magic. Wow, when you do this, you get much better, more quickly! Cool! Those that perform the rite *will* start getting a chaos taint, and if they really indulge in it, they may become full-raving chaotic. That's part of the seduction of chaos. And if Prey-eating works so well, what about worshipping that Dark Mother with a Thousand Young? That can't be so bad, can it?

RR