Re: "Proactive" spirits?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_M-ZoVigEwe434yQgDisQ_wZ9F9qATV21t57JmlohCRJkuwxi7gKaZ4RzmcKKNfjO>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 10:38:23 -0700 (PDT)

Sam:

> > The next best way is to become a guardian for a hero band. In
> > Prax, the White Bull spirit is one such. It has an agenda.
>
> Where can I read about this agenda?

Well, on my hard drive mostly. You can work backwards from some of King of Sartar. If you really want to know more, mail me off list.

> Yes, it is probably these specific agenda(s?) I'm wondering about. I agree
> that they may have the full range of motives but I can't quite work out how
> some of them apply, except for the ancestor business.

I think you have to get specific to get specific. It is not usually anything to do with their spirit nature. It will usually be their specific nature that matters. As examples, there are ancestor spirits, plant spirits, animal spirits, elemental spirits, place spirits, demons, etc. The animal spirit might have an agenda as small as reasserting its traditional breeding or hunting grounds. Elemental spirits probably want to be pure, or something like that. Demons, well, who the hell knows; that's the point of demons, right?

> > I would say that, at a mininum, they have nearly the full range
> > of human reasons. Some may be trying to make the just from being
> > a heroband guardian to being an independent practice.
>
> Power then. Is it really so important to a spirit?

Note that I said "some" advisedly. Some people also just want to be worshipped. We call them celebrities!

> Maybe. Is interaction with the mundane world going to help them achieve whatever
> it is they need to do in their own world, as is the case in reverse?

Those would be the ones you run into. Since the hero plane and spirits world are static without mundane world intervention, all spirits not happy with the current state of affairs must make themselves available to active forces in the mundane plane.

> There's something I'm trying to work out here, not quite sure
> what. Bottom line, I think, is...is a spirit gonig to come up to
> someone and say, please could you put me in your medicine bundle?

It would be unusual -- so much so that a shaman's guard would be up. But I am sure it happens, especially to player characters. This is essentially how animist spirit bands get their guardians.

Chris