Re: Language and Culture

From: David Dunham <david_at_1kx56eE09cAgCRfnjhKy3hAjw3OjEQSCsW5rhVUE_bXLaJYk8gZDYW_ewwi2PJQBafyMdf>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:46:39 -0700

Peter

>I don't believe that the type of language spoken or cultural
>attitude _shapes_ gloranthan reality.

Then we agree.

>not even the Piraha would be so resistant to change.

These are the people who realized they were getting cheated by traders, ASKED to learn how to count, and couldn't. (See the Wikipedia page on their language
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirahã_language>.) The point isn't that they intentionally resist change, or are too stupid to.

Whether or not they end up verifying the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, they are a model for how something similar could work in Glorantha. Which to my mind makes the Lightbringer missionaries even more worthy, to have broken through somehow. (Apparently by finding some vestigial culture they could hook into.)

--

David Dunham