Re: Castle Coast and Malkioni Questions (Again)

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_Zk-ZEyi1xO3dCc9ESpLy3VAlfkr4G8F0tcX24n8NqvJTtd8Q9T0De8dhZSgJq7JYw9Y>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:10:36 -0000

Ian Who Likes Monkeys:

> So, here's a big old question dump. Anyone with answers, canon or
> made-up on the spot, share!

The Castle Coast is described in Heroes of Malkion, which should be the next book out after the two that are currently at the printers. Of course, there's only room for a few pages, so doubtless it will raise as many questions as it will answer...

> 1) What is up with the island of Guabelle off the south-west coast of
> the Castle Coast? It doesn't seem to be part of the CC, but it seems
> important enough to warrant a name on the few maps I've found online.
> Ginorth doesn't even get named as often.

It's the home of the centaur king, the closest thing the beastmen of the isles have to an overall ruler.

> 2) Are all the Kanthor's Isles named? I've discovered Ginorth of Wolf
> Pirate fame; Volonne, Culonmac, and Varskolin of the Quinpolic League;
> and Gilboch of Seshnela. If the answer is yes, and the reason is
> G:CotHW, just let me know. I think I should probably buy this book
anyway.

They haven't all been named in canon, although I imagine that the locals have names for all the ones of any size.

> 3) Elf forests in the Coast? Yea? Nay?

Yes.

> 4) Who controls the mines in the Iron Mountains? Mostali? Seshnela?
> The Castle Coast? Arolanit? All of the above?

The Mostali. Who, as we know, will only trade the stuff with humans at the city of Laurmal... which happens to have been ruined since the end of the Second Age.

> 5) I'm confused on timing here. Zzabur seems present when Malkion
> dies, but I also thought Malkion and the Chosen were expelled prior to
> Malkion's death. What is the proper sequence of events here?

Malkion gets kicked out of Danmalastan by Zzabur. Founds Malkonwal.
Zzabur & co ambush Malkion and kill him. Malkion opens the gates to Solace, through his redemptive sacrifice.

> 6) And who *is* the Malkioni culture hero?

Malkion, insofar as they have a single one - which is pretty debatable.

> 8) Speaking of myths, are there any proper Chaos "gods" in western
> myth that might still have active "Satanic cults" underground? I'm
> specifically looking at Chaos entities that provide Grimoires.

Yes. There's an underground black magic cult in Heroes of Malkion that can serve as a model for any others you might need :)

> 9) How much of these Old Time Religions survive amongst the lowest
> classes and isolated communities of Seshnela, the Castle Coast, and
> points Monotheist?

Witchcraft still survives in Seshnela. I'm of the opinion that the Inquisition aren't much fun if there's nobody real for them to hunt. Equally, of course, they're not much fun if they're too good at actually finding them, as opposed to, say, innocent old women.

> Have the
> Old Faiths been subsumed entirely into quaint traditions and folklore,

I suspect there's a lot of that. I didn't have enough space to describe it in Kingdom of the Flamesword, unfortunately, but I believe it exists.

> or are there secretive underground cults still meeting at the crumbled
> wells and sacred mounds of the West?

Yes; those too.

--
Trotsky