Re: Malkioni Questions

From: Stephen Tempest <e-g_at_krMVttNlfMWNoCrMPAe0WNc4-IBhvOhpEqcn8gEasU-OOL30so54a9pwg85_RLQ_wlXHRLon>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 10:34:22 +0100

"Ian" <ilikemonkeys.geo_at_CCbNFi7u5mKE_MZyw-BINaXuPI9_nVaUpuZLINLoZVaPFUr7qOszaobl-nelI80SbQ0vtMx7pDHkKYLOd61HS7OB.yahoo.invalid> writes:

>7) Many, if not most, saints seem to have existed In Time. How exactly
>does this translate into Malkioni HeroQuesting - do these events
>within time still have timeless reflections on the Hero Plane?

This is a somewhat-related question that's been bothering me lately - what's the deal with the Abiding Book? As presented in everything I've read so far (including The Middle Sea Empire), its appearance was the result of the direct intervention of God.

However, it seems to be a generally accepted principle that the Gods of Glorantha don't intervene directly any more, unless prompted to by heroquesting mortals. (Or as a *reaction* to the activities of mortals, such as at Castle Blue). Orlanthi explain this fact by reference to the Great Compromise; presumably other cultures have different explanations for the same phenomenon?

So is the Malkioni Invisible God an exception to that rule? Or was something else going on, and the Abiding Book was actually acquired by heroquestors, but the Godlearners suppressed all records of them to make it seem that the One Book came directly from Makan? (Or maybe it was sent by enemies of the Godlearners to lure them into false beliefs...)

Stephen