Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_QlpUXh623jHzTQkxJ6YSKGNQcoL37O1dsbt8lAcgIN078gbXWj0iV2uEd2a0MDfT167QB>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 20:41:41 -0700

> Because the mythology is different there, and there is no need to make
> everything the same.

I find that an awful lot of people try to make Lozonge-wide myths out of local phenomenon. All ogres worship Cacodemon; all red-aspected warrior (or even non-warrior) women are Vingan. Etc., etc, ad nauseum.

Glorantha is still a big place, and cultures can have aspects that appear related, but that developed in parrallel with absolutely no God-Time relation, no cross-cultural fertilization, no stealing of myths. (They *can* still have related myths, of course, or stolen ones)

I understand *why* people used to do this - all we knew was a handful of cults and cultures. But now we've seen that the simple "Storm tribe" ain't so simple. It's not just Orlanth and Ernalda and the Lightbringers and Humakt anymore, now we've got aspects of the tweo really Big Deities; cults and subcults and a proliferation of major and minor entities to worship. The Lunar religion is revealed to be more than the Moon and the Seven Mothers. We've got tons of saints in the west, and (I'm sure) more on the way.

The olden days of a dozen gods (or even the 60 or so gods in Gods of Glorantha) are over. Rejoice in the ability to claim new gods (and Spirits, and Saints) as your own. Don't try to spread one god into five entirely different places, make up new ones!

Gloranthans, shake of the ancient chains of RQ2 & 3 Theistic Oppression! Revel in your chance to create gods out of the whole cloth! All you have to lose is a narrow world view! Long Live the Revolution!

RR