Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_f2nK0Wtx9Gyi7x7isyqIWgwYHF_PIBlofXUucS2pqw5ZeXFHzYI7vP6xLcbFYcGqwqs>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 21:38:43 +1200

At 09:14 p.m. 13/07/2007, you wrote:
>I find myself wondering about the poor Aeolians who
>claim greater insight than their rustic neighbours but whose ability
>to evoke the magic of their chosen entities is so penalised when
>compared to those same rustics.

The traditional answer to that has been that nobody knows that their magic is more or less difficult.

Heroquest does indicate (obliquely) that unconcentrated magic can only be used as augments never as primary abilities. Concentrating one's magic means that the magic can now be used as active abilities which means they become more showy and powerful. The key exception to this is sorcery because (I don't know whether this was intentional or inadvert) spells can be used as active magic regardless of the concentrated state of the caster.

So while the Aeolians seem less powerful from a rules point of view, the effect of their use of sorcery means that it is more visible than that of the Orlanthi neighbors.

--Peter Metcalfe