Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_UeGID8m9vyhpQ_FLfeKwcqM9VNjsbiyQXKW9jZUWbGb50sHclRaa3LxuXPTClZfiqkGJ>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:38:34 +0800

On 7/13/07, Jeff Richard <richaje_at_4MiYqsSkcpIfBMMQD6-QpLfnEMX4uztE9_HpCQtsiIj7fe1Vx735l2pPMCqFThlqc5esyvdNAV3MraoU.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> > Peter Metcalfe:
> > I never really understood concentration from a gloranthan's
> > point of view - pledging to worship only gods or only spirits
> > seemed to impart a God Learner's outlook on each and
> > every religion.
> >
> > A better way of handling it might be to have the hero
> > pledging to worship more specific concepts in his own
> > mythology. An Orlanthi might decide to abide by the
> > Lightbringers (which case he can use Flesh Man
> > talents but not Kolati charms) or the Sons of Umath
> > (allowing him access to Valindi, Uroxi and Kolati
> > magics at the cost of everything else). For the Lunars,
> > they would have the choice of concentrating on the
> > Moon or a specific denomination and so forth.
>
> I tend to agree with Peter here. I personally think the existing
> concentration rules are an overly clunky games mechanic and should be
> ignored.

Trying not to make this just a me-too post ... I've scrapped concentration in my games, and replaced it with a collection of allegiances to various supernatural beings - if the beings aren't happy with the PC's mix of allegiances, the magical abilities they supply are affected. Time constraints also limit the PC's mix of allegiances. This isn't as elegant as Peter's suggestion, but it's more open. I'm still not done thinking about this...

Thanks,
Andy