Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: David Weihe <blerg2_at_kgGNivfHq6ArRo4kQkNpYy1DOeOhSqj14QNQ5LhpjM7EPPQiNzGMv5y-r4_MP2Z7Q2yWu>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:03:17 -0700 (PDT)

> I find myself wondering about the poor Aeolians who
> claim greater insight than their rustic neighbours
> but whose ability to evoke the magic of their chosen
> entities is so penalised when compared to those same
> rustics.

But it isn't! Almost all the Heortlings are mixed worshippers, mainly because mixed worship is the normal mode. Just because Big O is best worshipped with sacrifices doesn't mean that they don't need help from lots of local spirits, and Kolat has his own day of worship, etc.

Yes, a concentrated Orlanth initiate might best the equivalent Aeolian, one on one, but sorcerous society doesn't work like that, anyway. There, the few clergy have their spells up at the level of the Heortling devotees, and have more tricks in their book, as well.

It is only when life is safe enough that a few Heortlings can afford to try specializing in one type of magic, or just one god, that concentrated theism beats mixed or misapplied magics, and only when they come into real conflict. That only happens once every 500 years or so (about the same period as an age -- think there might be a connection? :-)
Plus when the conflicts start, things fall rapidly to the point that concentration and devotion can get one killed, because all the alternate sources of assistance are cut out.

Check out tonight's top picks on Yahoo! TV. http://tv.yahoo.com/