Re: Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_C0P2Rr-1s3b3oeaNg_a5EForb4JP_J2-HN-PZp4bKjttOnNA_UmcJVCQTZ6hj-oY>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 02:35:53 -0400

On July 14, 2007 01:50 am, David Dunham wrote:
> >I'm enthused about the idea of Gloranthans worshipping entities in a
> >variety of ways, however I am a bit perplexed as to why this seems to
> >be mechanistically discouraged in some of the current rulesets.
>
> I consider it an unfortunate side effect of trying to emphasize the
> Three Worlds distinction.

Same here. I think the Three Worlds distinction has some importance for Glorantha from things Greg has said, so I don't want to throw the mechanics out completely, but I really wish the HQ book had been written in a way that made it clear that mixed worship is the norm.

Virtually all the examples are concentrated and focused on a single kind of magic as well, sadly.

> Light Castle
>
> >I think the concentration bonus is a little TOO mechanically
> >powerful. Thus I have toyed
> >with other ways to simulate this
>
> I am currently ignoring concentration altogether, and simply using
> the time requirements. This essentially prevents a devotee from using
> other magic. It obviously doesn't prevent you from being an initiate
> and using charms, but that's supposedly a common sort of thing.

The time requirements are helpful. To be honest, I think the "levels" of magic contributed to it seeming that it was normal to be more focused. Again, a presentation issue.

Mechanically, it also seems that Theists have the most dramatic effect from concentrating. Besides the HP bonus, they also get less penalty for improvisation, and the ability to use CM feats actively.

Animists get active CM charms and the HP bonus. (They have no improv equivalent like initiates.)

Wizards get the HP bonus and active CM.

That always struck me as odd.