Re: magic use, another perspective

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_JRdQYum-0-50y21l-49ApS7MgskrsfqM7o9lNMgiw8xJiW_dVYBl_Aa6Re8UTzFgMig>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 20:57:49 -0000

Mikko:

> Personally I have some trouble with the exclusive nature of the three
> worlds model.

It's not true in my Glorantha, either. At least, not as an absolute rule - its generally true IMG, but there are a few exceptions here and there. But it is clearly canonical, and you won't find me contradicting it in anything I write for Issaries.

But it doesn't strike me as a particularly difficult rule to throw out if you want to - so long as you realise it will create incompatibilities with published material, of course. If you want Shadow World-style archmages in your Glorantha, make the entrance requirement to be reaching 2W2 in the key abilities of all three of a theist initiate, an animist practitioner, and a wizardly adept (which is a 75%+ time commitment, but not unattainable). Throw in a few abilities to reflect his overall mastery of magic - say, combining some of the attributes of a shaman, a devotee, and a magus, and then replacing his best of Soul Vision/Spirit Face/Symbolic Sight with a new rating in Sense Any Magic - and Bob's your uncle.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic