Re: magic use, another perspective

From: simon_hibbs2 <simon.hibbs_at_kBSAzk9QK17wYpiKKTGUEO1-vk-ZNIpjweScNanEN4ehlyAiYwOktUF-ZeAEZCgY>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 22:14:46 -0000

> I have for a long time been a player in a Shadow World game. In this
> high fantasy setting (with SciFi elements) there are three major
> brands of magic; Wizardry, Channeling (theism), and Mentalism. Each
> one of them is a complex discipline, and must be learned separately.
>
> An important and interesting aspect of the setting is that all three
> are ultimately magic, and spring from the same source.

In Glorantha this is called Transcendence, and is accessible through Myticism. Mortals (and many immortals) perceive the three worlds of Animism, Theism and Materialism due to the cognitive limitations of the conscious mind and it's fixation on personal and physical reality. Mystics attempt to escape these limitations. In doing so they achieve awesome cosmic powers, yet become unconcerned with mortal affairs - except when they don't.

Simon Hibbs