Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: donald_at_lQuaAm-roxKK8Lubmr9iwuZDHwHSDrgSCoOeeX9a5A3Inw3g0bivX3H_0XknvoWuknetl
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 21:17:18 GMT

In message <f7b4b9+mt9r_at_eGroups.com> "ttrotsky2" writes:

>But, as I say, I don't think Christianity is a good analogy anyway. I
>think most people's reactions to devotees would be more like their
>reaction to people like doctors in the real world. Sure, they've spent
>more time studying than you, but is that really a reason to look
>askance at them and shuffle away if they get too near?
>
>The bottom line, though, is this: a Glorantha where devotees are, as a
>general rule, regarded as strange people best avoided by the rest of
>us is not a Glorantha that I, personally, can tell interesting stories
>in. React negatively to some cults (Jakaleel, Danfive Xaron, Urox,
>etc.), sure. But not simply because they're devotees. That doesn't
>interest me, and I actively don't want a Glorantha that's like that.

I don't think the comparison of devotees with priests or doctors is useful at all. You can join the priesthood because it provides a decent living provided you comply with the outward requirements. What I'd regard as the devotee is the person, priest or not, who is seriously committed to the ideas of their god. Even when you like them as people and respect their beliefs their way of thinking is strange. Not a reason to avoid them, more a recognition of difference and the fact that they may act in unexpected ways. The example I'm thinking of is a catholic priest who had absolute faith in god's will. Whatever came his way was something to be accepted. At the same time, unlike many priests, he lived in a small flat, looked after himself and walked or used a bus.

Interestingly the reaction of much of the catholic laity to their priests, in the UK at least, is very deferential. Almost as if they are expected to be far stranger than they really are.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/