Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_1_ywAcwjUAbQl6xK3MzJ3aDCPUlbX20CMtcH8e_Fz9Vrp1g1tXeKDa932KcsCfaq>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:53:11 -0400

On July 13, 2007 04:32 am, Stephen Tempest wrote:
> I think you've got something there... and another part of the problem
> is that HQ's flexibility - otherwise a great strength - makes it too
> easy for a player to say "Right, I'll concentrate on theism so all my
> magic is in the form of feats."

*nod* Which is totally rational from a player's point of view. Now, I don't object to that so much for deep Gloranthan reasons as the far more interesting idea of having to make a choice between breadth and depth.

> What I suspect might really happen is that in a particular area,
> certain vital forms of magic are *only* available as charms or spells
> instead. Imagine if the only healing magic an otherwise-theistic clan
> had access to was in the form of sorcery? And while they received
> magic for growing barley from their grain goddess, the clan founders
> discovered that barley didn't grow too well in that damp soil, but by
> offering animist worship to a local rice spirit, they could ensure a
> flourishing harvest?

*yoink*

That's an elegant solution to how to handle that and present just that kind of interesting dilemma to the players.

> Player characters from such a clan might have second thoughts on
> concentrating their magic on theism if it meant losing access to
> healing and seeing their families starve each winter...

Exactly.

LC