Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at__lP9U-Y0t_dpAkdsUgGYfye9OzUWvcQBf4faYqya4TNyY_VI3bgbm_8LPFspaJnh78vpP>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:24:16 -0700

>> I've pretty much ignored it, too. I've said that all common magic that
>> is part of your culture is equally available, whether its officially
>> described as feats, spells, charms or talents. All foreign common
>> magic is equally unavailable, again, regardless of type. It's not
>> whether its a feat or a charm that's relevant, its whether its part of
>> your culture/religion or not.
>
> Which is how I think it is supposed to be.

The problem is that "foreign" common magic is not easily identified. There may be a berry bush somewhere on your tula/in your city block/on your riverbank that just happens to give an ability off another culture's CM list. As a narrtaor, I wouldn't prevent a player from taking any CM ability, for just this reason. Heck, an Orlanthi hero might end up with cyclical Lunar Common Magic (I don't know - a meteric fragment on the tula? A bit of an otherwise unknown Storm-friendly lunar being? Looted a charm off a dead soldier?)

Just like all other abilities, the lists of Common Magic abilities are simply non-exclusive starting points. Any ability is available to a player hero, not just the ones on his culture's CM list, or Homeland keyword, or whatever.

RR