Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_1thteFZfcA3IqfOYbL8w7ceyGfbfHc7JYEGYzXUPmVlBLrJF6uXIZYoIqYll9evYm6>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:52:40 +1000

On 15/07/07, L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_RADMT-wHCDe6dSTeDtsySPPro2SlUvmBSW5RwidsYUGlcNNVjadIsNp82XnIQhXmDBaVIS2VHt-KPrYX.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> Sure, but there is something far more interesting about a hero who has given
> up something in order to go on the path they are on than just one who gets a
> better hero point break.

When it comes to playing heroes, in most cases (but not all, I fully grant this!) it is the competence and prowess of the hero that is their defining quality. Zorro might wear a mask and fight baddies, but he is a hero because he does so and triumphs more than he fails.

People can opt for weaknesses and flaws in their heroes when they make them (I would say that they should). This should be something that the player builds in though, not simply a "feature" of the system.

Poor Aeolians (to continue with the example I used earlier) might manage to shore up their personal deficiencies when compared to their theistic neighbours thanks to their social structure but they don't really match up to other wizardous societies when it comes to the mechanics - and I don't really know why they should suffer so. Perhaps there is a metaplot about the eventual failure of their society - but right now a person who wishes to mess about with Aeolians takes a hit for doing so. I think this sends the wrong message myself since the "token" wizardous group near the "centre of attention" that is Dragon Pass is seriously handicapped in mechanical terms.

> And I think that's the interesting part. Making that trade off a significant
> choice for the character makes concentration interesting.

Sure its interesting. What it isn't is an argument as to why people shouldn't concentrate; at least in my opinion.

--
John Machin