Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_XbJPWygNdt6MlHchNXs1g6vHzhTpB9Nz9LO55zSa_OqtaDuz578YKFl_V40h1Lbh>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 03:20:10 -0400

On July 15, 2007 02:52 am, John Machin wrote:

> When it comes to playing heroes, in most cases (but not all, I fully
> grant this!) it is the competence and prowess of the hero that is
> their defining quality. Zorro might wear a mask and fight baddies, but
> he is a hero because he does so and triumphs more than he fails.

Well, I would argue that. (He's a hero because he fights baddies. Lots of heros lose.)

> People can opt for weaknesses and flaws in their heroes when they make
> them (I would say that they should). This should be something that the
> player builds in though, not simply a "feature" of the system.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

> Poor Aeolians (to continue with the example I used earlier) might
> manage to shore up their personal deficiencies when compared to their
> theistic neighbours thanks to their social structure but they don't
> really match up to other wizardous societies when it comes to the
> mechanics - and I don't really know why they should suffer so. Perhaps
> there is a metaplot about the eventual failure of their society - but
> right now a person who wishes to mess about with Aeolians takes a hit
> for doing so. I think this sends the wrong message myself since the
> "token" wizardous group near the "centre of attention" that is Dragon
> Pass is seriously handicapped in mechanical terms.

I happen to agree about the Aeolians. But that's misapplied worship, which is a related kettle of annoying fish. For an Aeolian it DOESN'T MATTER if you concentrate. Well, not true. If you concentrate as an aeolian you get to use common magic spells actively. That's it. No break in hero point cost and no other mechanical advantage since Sorcery doesn't get one like Theism does.

Yes, that is very annoying to take a hit like that. But that's not what I am talking about. What I am talking about is that as it stands now there is virtually no reason not to concentrate - mechanically - for most PCs. Making concentration a choice that *matters* would be far more interesting to me. Deciding whether or not to trade breadth of magic for more specialized power is an interesting choice.

The Aeolians don't even have that choice. If they concentrate they get virtually no bonus and lose their breadth.