Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_bz4i1SpJEUjRjrL2BOaF8x5ep2M6Oo7NVQAywpUm4TI5GCTe_prYE7H6Fk4sIjftLvErP96>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 00:59:30 -0700

YGWV Quoting John Machin <orichalka_at_GJsCXwZA60i6riZLdhLAnt3NqMwxGWybUwHbMEoQ01mf7sCszbE0pmWdsg7NmjBKDZxL8Tcbe14ITYF5.yahoo.invalid>:

> Poor Aeolians (to continue with the example I used earlier) might
> manage to shore up their personal deficiencies when compared to their
> theistic neighbours thanks to their social structure but they don't
> really match up to other wizardous societies when it comes to the
> mechanics - and I don't really know why they should suffer so.

I looks to me that you are complaining here about "game balance." I do not believe that all cultures or magic systems have to have game balance. Some work better than others. Period.

> Perhaps
> there is a metaplot about the eventual failure of their society - but
> right now a person who wishes to mess about with Aeolians takes a hit
> for doing so.

Yep.

> I think this sends the wrong message myself since the
> "token" wizardous group near the "centre of attention" that is Dragon
> Pass is seriously handicapped in mechanical terms.

The wizards of the Lunar Empire have no such handicap, of course. It is an accident of history that no significant sorcerers live near DP. And, if your campaign is in Seshnela, the same problem exists for Theists...

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford