Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: John Machin <orichalka_at_9327OI9H9aZSAsA9Kk-6zAz6gNWsHakoCMGD9Fo_dxyWP2TlqSDk66yZADnIOd1VKE>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:48:35 +1000

On 15/07/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_eCMrBZJS6uOCivRi3JeVXA-66o5t2QcFkswsgjzyLMY35fD3vN2KyRTpnuRN-z0gwf77lxpAvfg.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I looks to me that you are complaining here about "game balance."
> I do not believe that all cultures or magic systems have to have game
> balance. Some work better than others. Period.

This sort of thing would do wonders if it was to be found in the materials somewhere. It's the kind of design philosophy decision that is a pretty big step away from what is typical.

I take it from this that we can expect cultures which rely on misapplied worship to be obliterated fairly early on as the hero wars proceed then?

> The wizards of the Lunar Empire have no such handicap, of course.

Does the Lunar Empire count as a wizardous culture? Don't they cheat (and do rather well because of it)?

> It is an accident of history that no significant sorcerers live near DP.
> And, if your campaign is in Seshnela, the same problem exists for Theists...

Would a group of Western colonists or imperialists end up as poorly, or would they tend to end up like Sir Ethilrist and be fearsome, but somewhat marginalised?

--
John Machin