Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_iD-NURpN4K5FZbbLZvejXpcACcHK12KdoHczv1UahbjWdkKTrPFq4BLap_skwNBnAFPzq8g>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 08:31:32 -0700

GWV Quoting John Machin <orichalka_at_aFfujhsLiAqFab-66HlZ3oFYlBVv3ycLGyWQp-0__nHGyKOaFglb2gWv_58ijKPTzbiGludD9T4hAdc.yahoo.invalid>:

> On 15/07/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_dEnPWaJ9CTl4tc2PhUoma5JNw-rAa4WUFzPV5sPnNtedOVji0yzCnOCpHaQDdUVpJNNp_SRK-p4Bfb1xuQ.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> I take it from this that we can expect cultures which rely on
> misapplied worship to be obliterated fairly early on as the hero wars
> proceed then?

Not necessarily.
It apeas to me you ae forgetting a couple of key poins: 1. Cooperation is always possible.
2. Also, IMPORTANTLY: Remember that most people in ALL cultures use mixed magic, and thus "pay the same costs" for their magic.

>> The wizards of the Lunar Empire have no such handicap, of course.
>
> Does the Lunar Empire count as a wizardous culture? Don't they cheat
> (and do rather well because of it)?

You are correct here. In terms of Otherworld classification, they wold count as a Lunar culture.

>> It is an accident of history that no significant sorcerers live near DP.

I want to modify this statement.
The sorcerers of God Forgot are an entirely atheistic culture that lives relatively close to Kerofinela. And you reminded me of Black Horse County.

>> And, if your campaign is in Seshnela, the same problem exists for
>> Theists...
>
> Would a group of Western colonists or imperialists end up as poorly,
> or would they tend to end up like Sir Ethilrist and be fearsome, but
> somewhat marginalised?

Your emphasis on the system of magic seems misapplied.

Marginalization is not due to their dominant magic system. It is due to their relative population more than anything else.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford