Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_GWTquGDMtRRUUss5pAf7mlqeLD--5ck7BliEO1B1dN2KAE9fpZe6c78Ta8RJemRJAQn>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:46:16 -0000

Greg:

> Not necessarily.
> It apeas to me you ae forgetting a couple of key poins:
> 1. Cooperation is always possible.
> 2. Also, IMPORTANTLY: Remember that most people in ALL cultures use
> mixed magic, and thus "pay the same costs" for their magic.

This latter one is, indeed, an important point. How significant it is depends on how common concentration and devotion (or equivalent) are. If Donald's estimate of 0.5% of the population being devoted is correct, then the fact that it's 0% in a misapplied theistic culture is hardly much of a handicap, unless concentration rates are *much* higher than devotion rates (which seems unlikely).

OTOH, if Ian Borchardt's estimate of 14% devotion is closer to the mark, then that's much more serious. So, as usual, YGWV.

In the specific case of Esvulari v Heortlings, its harder to say, since their magic is so different anyway.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic