Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_99CpsChzu8hMTdO-ngs8E8f8v0VMIkue3dGaM0PoHaLcn7gsiW0tQ4JJg1jnnwEQoi0>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:23:15 -0000

L. Castellucci:

> I think that in reality the idea was for the first rung magic user
to be
> someone fooling around with the basic magic/mixed religion/common
magic etc.
> Good magic users are that 30% range time commitment
> (Initiate/Practitioner/Orderly/Wizard) and then Great Magic Users
are the 50%
> range (Devotee/Shaman/Magus).

Sounds about right for most cultures. For instance, in my Lunar campaign around 66% of the adult population of the city are common/mixed magic users. The problem, I suspect, is that the most detailed culture in HQ so far are the Heortlings, who have essentially nobody that uses common magic alone, without initiating to any deity. Thus, we tend to think of initiates as the bottom rung of the magical ladder, because in Heortling society they *are*. This is certainly not true in Peloria or the West, among other places.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic