Re: magic use, another perspective

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_YMuLCTtPe2JUVq6eLW4QG1KnNbD8Zk3lZFZjmYzYLBBGC0__qSX5sKG3bqYbPdFKq8iWg>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:56:46 -0700

> That's precisely what the Red Moon Goddess did. She created a new
> everything world where Wizardry-like, Animist-like, and Theist-like
> magic are all coming from the same source - the Red Moon.

My
> understanding is that Lunar Wizardry isn't "Wizardry" as such, it just
> uses the essence-like portions of Lunar Magic.

Rather than re-inventing the wheel and renaming all the magical abilities and writing new (remarkably similar) rules (or writing a whole *new* set of rules), we writers stuck with the already-used names and mechanics (Affinities, spirits, spells, etc.). But Lunar Magic isn't Affinities, spiritis, spells, etc., it's really one mix that looks (to an outsider) like Veneration, Ecstasy and Sacrifice all mixed up together in an unholy mix called Reverence. The RM didn't quite mix it up fine enough, so there are "chunks" of the three maguical systems - the "Affinities, etc" that lunar heroes learn. Maybe with the coming of the white moon there will be only one kind of magic?

And the RM could only do it with the help of Chaos, so there! My Uroxi told me so, and he can feel Chaos like a mad itching right in the middle of his back - you know, where you can't reach it? - so it must be true!

> The three otherworlds were, at one time, three worlds. Then they
> smashed into each other and got all mixed up. This created "the
> world". Since the three otherworlds exist outside of time, they exist
> simultaneously as the Sorcery World, which is pure essence, and the
> Everything World, which is the world that came from the previous
> worlds smashing into each other. There's not really a way to "combine"
> the otherworlds without creating an entirely new world that duplicates
> the effect of these different kinds of magic.

Yep. And remember, you can't go directly from one "Pure" Otherworld to another without going through a "Everything world" (either the Middle World or the Hero Planes or the Underworld) in-between

RR