Re: Re Initiates and Devotion

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_Y5uZ9h7PVdoZXCvb2Z8BArungbE8f_ktZpqkC280ixhnmskbSqfa-_SlW_slr1Cnk3NkxQZ>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:18:27 -0700

YGWV Quoting Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_eDb9iBdaPrAC8HlBU9I05MJ3SgcHPrO_BrjNahC-MLha3RAMxJKAeUh46d0qMvVrg1I8G2dhPk0bp2mgUclMghc.yahoo.invalid>:

>> I get the impression that the Carmanian magi are not Magi in this
>> sense of the word (at least in general - I can\'t say that none of
>> them are). It seems to be the same word but used in different senses
>> for different reasons. Can anyone clarify the official position ?
>
> I think Trotsky was using the plural form of Magus whereas the
> Carmanian Magi is still a Magi in the singular.

I do not think that Peter is right this time

Certainly Magi is the plural of Magus, the title for a single Carmanian of that class.
But I do not think that every one of the Carmanian Magi need necessarily be a magus, in the formal game term of superior sorcerer. It could as easily be that the class is called by the label of their superiors, or that the Carmanian term is used because of its translation--for certainly, the Carmanians do not speak English or, indeed, even Latin.

Remember, too, that the terms used int the game, to explain levels of commitment or competence, are not necessarily the terms used by the Gloranthans themselves. thus though the Dara Happans and Heortlings both hav devotees, they do not use the same word for these.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford