Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_zz3NYnZx-QobIl8SXonxBQnuegISNB4a8yRpAZhx2o0W8Ryu3RW3r5AOMvfdzFvB9PiP>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:19:33 +0800

On 7/16/07, Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_mOOV56ZXm7DxoEyuotaQMqPUYmA-hfvSxKdq8TSVCYYp6d37hv5BLQnvjWHF12B_cxHod-ZXSPWqXBQwoMY.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> I would eliminate the three world split at the "lay membership" level,
> instead focusing on the cultural religion. Yes, we'd still need rules for
> what kind of magic a lay member would get, but it shouldn't be framed as
> "theist lay member", Animist Spiritist", etc. Instead i'd combine the
> various "lay member" sections into a single chapter (with appropriate
> editing, of course).
>
> The three world split becomes important at the second rung, where you're
> worshipping a distinct being and need to have the restrictions that come
> from worshipping a spirit/saint/god.

MGDV
>From a gaming POV, I'm of the opinion that the interesting thing about
gaming in a magical world is the magic. Also, IMO, augmenting with magic is less interesting (it becomes part of the augment hunt) than active magic, which is an ability in it's own right. The POV expressed above seems to say that active magic is rare, unusual, and strange. Also, this thread seems to have a strain of "the PCs should start out with common magic." (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Is it really the intent of the game authors that Glorantha is the gaming world where everything is magic, but no magic can be used on its own? (Heortling "no," though some people seem to be suggesting that active magic/concentration is far less common than 1/7.)

I have yet to see a player who is more enthused about augmenting with magic than using a magical ability.

Caveat: IMO, there are a few ways to make non-active magic interesting during a game. One is to describe the effect of the magical augmentation in detail, but when that detail is followed by " for a +2 to the ability," it seems to lose something. Of course a good description could net the PC a bonus from the narrator, but that means that magic's utility is based on impressing the narrator (the Amber Diceless RPG approach). Anyone have any other ways to make non-active magic more interesting or more useful than being part of the augment hunt?

Thanks,
Andy