Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_YgvaTu7JwaF73nJmdD9J4cTGAhYOlAwRi_Z6YjztvdKRYIhLhYCaqqggwWt6Db0O>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:53:50 -0400

On July 15, 2007 11:19 pm, Andrew Dawson wrote:
> MGDV

> From a gaming POV, I'm of the opinion that the interesting thing about
> gaming in a magical world is the magic. Also, IMO, augmenting with
> magic is less interesting (it becomes part of the augment hunt) than
> active magic, which is an ability in it's own right.

I agree completely.

> The POV expressed
> above seems to say that active magic is rare, unusual, and strange.

I think that's a rule artefact, though. Specialized magic is rare. (Or rather, fairly rare.)

Personally, I have NEVER liked the "augment only" rule to magic. Especially since it seems inconsistently applied and since what is an augment and what is active in general has a lot to do with how a given contest is framed more than anything else, even for mundane contests.

(If a mother is trying to save her children from a fire by running into the burning stead to save them, is her "Protective of Children" ability the augment to her "Run Fast" or vice versa? What about taking up a spear to face down a kidnapper? Is the spear combat the active ability?)

> Also, this thread seems to have a strain of "the PCs should start out
> with common magic." (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Is it really
> the intent of the game authors that Glorantha is the gaming world
> where everything is magic, but no magic can be used on its own?
> (Heortling "no," though some people seem to be suggesting that active
> magic/concentration is far less common than 1/7.)

I think that this is one of the reasons people have had so much trouble thinking of the rungs as we are now phrasing them. The rules present magic in such a way that common is mostly useless, as are most lay-people's powers. Now, I would point out that unless I am mistaken the ONLY group that can't use their magic actively at the Initiate level are Theists, and even then they can improvise feats with the minus 10. So this isn't *quite* as bad as you might think.

> I have yet to see a player who is more enthused about augmenting with
> magic than using a magical ability.

Agreed.

I've toyed with making the rule be "unable to use the magic on its own". In other words, it must be accompanied by a mundane action it is used in conjunction with instead of "must augment". I haven't had a chance to see how that plays out in play, though. It may not make sense once thought through.

Best,
LC