Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_u4_5gnQIiWf7Y6QlRQBjY_4e7mxAl2ShR6kRZJ0TG4Ue1zrG2jt1VRpfjYXpZHUpJz1kO>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 22:12:23 -0700

> From a gaming POV, I'm of the opinion that the interesting thing about
> gaming in a magical world is the magic. Also, IMO, augmenting with

There are two things going on here -

On one hand, people want to know what is "normal" so they'll know how far off their own characters are. Normal is Common magic/Communtiy worship for almost all cultures - the Heortlings are different in that Orlanthi All adults are initiates or more.

On the other hand, people want their characters to have cool magic. That's why most players play devotees or animists (or lunars, now).

> above seems to say that active magic is rare, unusual, and strange.

Yep. So are heroes (player or otherwise).

> Also, this thread seems to have a strain of "the PCs should start out
> with common magic." (Please correct me if I am wrong.) Is it really

Okay, you're wrong.

No-one is saying that player heroes should only have Common magic/Community level magic. What they are saying is that the Rules give the impression that most people in Glorantha have active magic - which is wrong most people have augment-only magic. Those with Active magic are rare, unusual, and strange.

> I have yet to see a player who is more enthused about augmenting with
> magic than using a magical ability.

I'm playing a character now who's an initiate, and never plan to move him over to Devotee - there is far much more that can be done when you don't have restrictions on you... And yes, description is the main part of the game - the numbers are after the fact.

RR