Re: Augment Only / Common Magic [was: Re: Make up new Gods, dang it!]

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_sLjdCLByxeZ2ma91lBYTJWH_t4k8R1FV6h8gsxu3ZxmmBagxmapH_UoFBlDbd8DB>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 08:50:20 -0400

On July 16, 2007 06:02 am, John Machin wrote:
> I let augment only/common magic be "used" as a defence (i.e. the
> Blindness Averting Gesture feat which opposes any magical attempt to
> blind the possessor at its full rating). I don't really know what else
> to do, to be honest? Use it to augment their assumed Not Blind (Yet)
> 13?

The "use as a defence" is already in the rules, as you say.

> One thought I had was that this would make being able to actively use
> such an ability pretty pointless I suppose - although in my
> non-Glorantha game I let people with such abilities use them to help
> *others* (so your Blindness Averting Gesture can be used to augment
> others, or to defend them; and your Jaunty Marching Song can keep
> others going at a cracking pace too).

*nod*

Like I said, I haven't had a chance to see if it makes sense. The idea that most have augment-only magic makes some sense to me (you need to dedicate some time as a magician if you want active magic) but I don't know if augment vs active is really the best way to make that split.

LC