Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_TH2i43sdH22OaOPo35XISjrYUYyczoE6q_yGvgNqaw9vmn4IXqMatx-MyXvnfrP8Vxa4>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 23:32:08 +0800

On 7/16/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_5hYbyvfmJKR3n2t0jEpMRteyl_eAd4vbnLxgZrisBuOGdvBCRpY9irZ_uFHhBKIrnbGAp701yyyHz7UU.yahoo.invalid> wrote:
> HOWEVER, I am curious to know what peoples' reactions would be to
> this, which is something of a major change.
> A lot of people are still whining about the differences between RQ and
> HQ imposed by a change in the entire system. This would be a change
> within the system.

HQ brought me back to Glorantha, so read the rest of this message with that in mind.

> I am not asking for everyone to get into a debate with each other
> about the virtues of this or that. I would like to see individual
> reactions to changes being made int he rules.

I propose that there are two categories into which HQ changes can be divided (among many more divisions): 1) Glorantha emulation, and 2) Game play.

  1. For Glorantha emulation, that's your call. I don't know if initiates with active magic fit your vision of Glorantha.
  2. For game play, I favor making the magic system simpler and more appealing to the potential Glorantha gamer, both those part of and not part of the Glorantha community.* (And simplifying other items in the rules, but I'll leave that for now, except to say that the lengthly experience point cost tables should be put up against the wall and shot.)

Some explanation that may go beyond what you asked: When I'm running games at conventions or at home, I'm rarely running those games for Glorantha experts.** Since I want to explain the game rules and the setting on the fly, I've learned to avoid concentration and all its baggage.*** I just give the players a character sheet and let them use their magic as active abilities (or as augments if appropriate, just like any other ability). At home, even the most narrative player seems to prefer "real" abilities, where "real" means "active." ****

My narration experiences probably vary. My gaming group composition probably varies. Etc.

Thanks,
Andy