Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_QPTWUN3dCZjEvCluRpt8dUhWH-O6zyuVCbIP-mD55dbUWVoeJ4z2ICCs-Byn5WHt>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 11:48:19 -0400

On July 16, 2007 11:32 am, Andrew Dawson wrote:

> HQ brought me back to Glorantha, so read the rest of this message with
> that in mind.

It brought me TO Glorantha.

> 2) For game play, I favor making the magic system simpler and more
> appealing to the potential Glorantha gamer, both those part of and not
> part of the Glorantha community.* (And simplifying other items in the
> rules, but I'll leave that for now, except to say that the lengthly
> experience point cost tables should be put up against the wall and
> shot.)

Um... yes. Yes, I support Old Yeller-ing that part.

> Some explanation that may go beyond what you asked: When I'm running
> games at conventions or at home, I'm rarely running those games for
> Glorantha experts.** Since I want to explain the game rules and the
> setting on the fly, I've learned to avoid concentration and all its
> baggage.*** I just give the players a character sheet and let them use
> their magic as active abilities (or as augments if appropriate, just
> like any other ability). At home, even the most narrative player seems
> to prefer "real" abilities, where "real" means "active." ****

Agreed. Every player I have has immediately taken steps to give themselves active magic if in anyway they want to have magic be remotely important to the character.

 I have not found concentration difficult to explain, ("Give up your other magic to be more effective at what you have.") It's the details of what that means that has been problematic. (Espcially since it seems to affect Theists far more than anyone else.)