Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_zwbR47l1s_CujlVNnRA1nBCPpKdlDWOAPDQxou0plfHnv8FBNLeNUHECI2b6Cogu>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:54:02 -0700 (PDT)

Greg asks:

> HOWEVER, I am curious to know what peoples' reactions would be to
> this, which is something of a major change.
> A lot of people are still whining about the differences between RQ and
> HQ imposed by a change in the entire system. This would be a change
> within the system.

It would make our targets harder to raid. Waha will overcome!

Out of character, I would have only two concerns: (1) any change should be more fun that the previous version (more active magic sounds good to me) and (2) any change it should be balanced (so that Waha's mighty warriors have a chance to beat Rain Man's dirt-loving plant-herds).

On the second point, I would note that popping a fetish is a truly mighty magic -- it adds the entire ability (not just a 1/10th augment) to the underlying ability. However, the spirit has to make its way back to the user. I think this is currently fairly balanced in that an initiate can improvise any feat any number of times, but suffers a -10 penalty. But, if you don't like that rule, one way to change it might be to say that initiates can use an affinity to improvise any feat, but each affinity can only generate one feat until the initiate has time to do some sacrifice or other to the god in question. That creates a link back to in-world activities and communities, and avoids any sort of arbitrary limit.

I have no idea how either initiates or practitioners stack up against wizardly or sorcerous types.

Best,
Chris