Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Simon Phipp <soltakss_at_PtJ5yREucgu6nlBkwDgFjV6PfjRb-wVo2FGSf-C1ZyIR7CKKDDsKnMi8lLqXVeOPj2G>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:03:39 -0000

Roderick:

> > Actually, I'm pretty sure it does not say that, but in fact,
says the
> > oposite: that the listed feats are samples, not definitive. If
you an
> > find out where the rules say it, Id be appreciative.
>

> HQ page 118 "Affinities" - "An inittiate can improvise any
*named* feat in
> the affinity (...) as an active abilty with a -10 penalty..."
>
> That was something Steve fought for, even though we tried to argue
him down.
> It's that "named feats" bit that lead people to believe that the
feats are
> an exhaustive list.

In defense of Steve (how often do you hear that here?) I can see the point of this.

If you have a deity with an Affinity, then that deity has its own sphere of influence and has an Affinity that reflects this. So, it would have feats within the Affinity that reflect its own particular abilities, its own particular godtime activities and so on.

Restricting an initiate, and even a Devotee, to being able to only improvise named feats means that you don't get the situation where, say, a worshipper of Finovan, for instance, improvises the Blazing Spear feat using his Combat Affinity, even though neither Orlanth nor Finovan is known for Blazing Spear as it is an Elmal Combat Feat.

Sure, devotees can discover new feats by uncovering the secrets of their cult, either through new subcults, herocults or directly through heroquests, but that shouldn't be the norm, in my opinion.

Otherwise you get back to the idea that all worshippers with a Combat affinity get the same feats, or all worshippers with the Air Affinity can fly, all worshippers with the Darkness Affinity can see in the dark and so on.

I prefer Gloranthan deities to have their own spheres of influence where they are powerful and other deities rarely overlap.

See Ya

Simon