Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_D2pKIH_9YVaoobxOXS30c-svdywDQYlUKTcWNb2tOVE2TSV3cfMRekBfcYO4bF8CXQc>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 12:34:51 +1200

At 10:43 a.m. 18/07/2007, you wrote:

>Talents, feats, fetishes, and spells are all just abilities, and
>their magical nature is color, but they do allow
>'unnatural' things like flying, swords turning into flame. No special rules.

If Talents, feats, fetishes etc are all just abilities then why the special need to differentiate between them? Given that the Three Worlds has been in print since Cults of Terror and has surfaced in the literature in
many ways before Hero Wars was published, I think it a retrograde step to deny distinctions in a rule
sense.

I think as written, animist magic is nicely distinguished from theistic magic in shape and effect while sorcery is much less clearly defined (and far too much focus is made about grimoires for that matter).
There does seem to be a justification for Talents but as written, they seem too similar to common magic
feats to be warrant a separate category.

--Peter Metcalfe