Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Robin Laws Mail List Only <tjaderoo_at_mlevg5xOHyjJQdjG99P0x32FaxKvL3nwTAgRPbyRRwrOpGuiCz0AHPTTAlCY3k_87pJ>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 18:21:03 -0400

Ian:

> But if your question is more, should the HQ rules focus on the
> protagonists and not the everyday folk and by implication be tailored
> to playing them, that's more interesting and needs more thought.

That is indeed the implication of my question.

I am reminded of the Star Wars MMORPG, where instead of getting to play characters like Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, you got to be a cantina musician or pod car repairman. A few people dug that. Most played long enough to realize that the game felt nothing like Star Wars, and moved on.

Bryan -

> What is probably missing is how to play *H*eroes with less
> than a few years of campaigning to get to that power level.

The idea that you have to start out weak and only after many years become a character worthy of being considered a protagonist is outmoded. Why not just start out as powerful characters with simple abilities, instead of comparatively weak ones subject to all of these complicated limitations?

I recognize that some people want to play limited characters. I'd argue that this should be an advanced option, not the default. Start out with the simplest possible rules, allowing the most generally exciting characters--the ones Greg finds interesting enough to write about--and later introduce rules for the more complex, limited characters for those who prefer them.

Take care >>> Robin