Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_wut3KryJxOBvCNBDJRKkCpcd9Bxtr0dZijf4-vzjlxQLGUjJB1qmdg7OiPT6_sGlnD9YJ>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 20:18:45 -0700

>I would challenge your assertion that newbie players enjoy low-level
>gaming. Today's new players want to be able to play something cool,
>and they equate coolness with successful and powerful characters.

I didn't say they did enjoy it - I said: "give us all options up front". Robin says that "hero level" is the bestest, coolest, etc., and he derided "lowlevel" games. I'm saying "Sure, give us Hero-level, but give us lower levels too *with the same empahasis as the hero level*. I'm not saying bin the hero stuff, I'm saying add it on to the lower level. Show us how to be a rank beginner, a best-in-the-neighborhood and a best-in-the-world kind of guy.

Considering that it would take probably one page to show the differences between Beginning, Middling and Hero level character creation, and maybe another couple pages to show the different adventures and concerns a character could have at each level, I don't see why Non-hero has to be relegated to the back of the book.

If my 15-year old niece wants to play Jar-eel, that's great. I just want the *same* support for me playing a Heortling (or Tatooine, or Middle Ages fairy-tale) farmboy. I don't want to be told to go to the back of the book to see what crumbs may have left for me (because, intended or not, that's what being told to look at "advanced" or "optional" rules will feel like).

RR