Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Osentalka <Osentalka_at_hZ8rpgpY2qkG8H_Kdty5qhDqzOb0XxCuX6fM0-NqySvfrXZL1Ng8pX7TumB_KXXiGt>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:06:06 +0200

Robin Laws:

> Which raises the question: why aren't HQ games
> about the sorts of characters who appear as
> protagonists in Greg's fiction?

Its the same with ALL fiction:

In middle earth the four hobbits are an exception. If you play a hobbit like them you are copying. If you are playing a hobbit not as heroic like them, its a low level campaign.
If you are playing a warrior from gondor doing heroic things, you are playing in middle earth, but are you still playing Tolkien?

You said it yourself:
Playing a cantina musican in Star Wars has not the same Star Wars feeling than the movies.
But playing Luke, Han, Leia or Obi-Wan like powerful characters are possible in such a big universe.

Greg writes about excepional characters that have changed the face of Glorantha forever.
Of course will you be able to do the same with HeroQuest, because YOU shape the outcome of the Hero Wars, BUT Gregs Fiction always has ONE hero, not a group of characters (Lightbringers myth aside). There might be a Hero with followers, but that is not the same as a gaming group.

I also think that it is easier for players to start from a limited knowledge of the world and learn the details during the game. But i don´t want to start with farm boys... The second best team of the whole clan, that is what my starting player characters are. Then moving to THE problem solving group fast.

In my ongoing games the players are not Hero characters, but hero chracters: clan level heros. They are known for solving problems, and serving the day... for their home clan.
>From THERE i can move on to greater deeds.

The inspirations for my games are not Conan, Elric and Co. but a mix of soap operas (dayly life interfering with adventure is great fun) an Buffy (without a named lead character). Then i can move on to Star Wars like scenarios.
True Heroes are made for novels, comics and movies, not for roleplaying IMHO.
A GROUP of Conan, Elric, Kane, Hercules and Achill would not work, and would not be much fun i suppose. True Heroes are outstanding, and OTHER Heroes by their side will stand in they light of glory.

But i keep the idea that MY gaming group will be known one day as a Hero. Maybe only one will get the fame for the deeds of the group and become a true Hero of gloranthan history?

Just my opinion.

Cheers

André