Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_eE0ExF4pzgRXeQ_rii-CxZshkijRHeQX-ujQlr-aCEUDW9V17QrQF3Ltz3CnQkjULx8>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 00:03:19 +1200

Tim Ellis:

>But this does leave me struggling to explain common magic feats. Who
>are we emulating and what is the source of the power? What,
>descrptively, separates a common magic feat from a talent?

I think common magic feats come from the worship of physical manifestations (ie the Sun, that Huge Mountain and so forth) and perhaps basic concepts (love, music etc). Since feats requires sacrifice, it's not magical energy that's being sacrificed but simple ritual obligations (like bow towards Kerofin at least once a day or spill a drop of your own blood every day).

Brian Thexton:

>Personally, I think that the examples in the homelands in HQ may have
>been assigned between talents, feats, charms, and spells without a lot
>of thought.

You could say that of some of the specialized religions. My biggest problem with the stuff as written is that much of it doesn't have the feeling of verisimilitude (I'm sure the Praxians are more sophisticated than to have a cult society called Big Hungry Gray One or that the Esrolian magical societies have some purpose other than being a random collection of magics) nor is there much in the way of guidance to allow somebody to craft common magic traditions that ring true.

--Peter Metcalfe