Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: bryan_thx <bethexton_at_y0jba_WXcK7y_pTdiW98SCJbQhiJw0Hw2iZJJA2SvU3QWRA02_cueHFjanoQO9PZaE>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 13:22:11 -0000

First an aside: I don't think Robin derided low level play--and this is an important enough discussion that I hope we can keep the heat out of it, so please let's not escalate!

Now my main point: I think the 'default' power level should be whatever will be the starting point for the Great Argrath Campaign. I think that will be the star promotional tool for HQ for some time. Just like the Great Pendragon campaign pulls people into Pendragon, because they hear of how cool it is, and because it is so unique in scope, I hope that the great Argrath campaign will do something similar for HQ.

The following reasoning is that of a consumer of game products only. I have no experience with the actual business of the games, those that do may well say that I'm way off base.

I think it is a given that within the hard-core gaming community it will draw attention, as it ties in two things that are well respected: glorantha and the great pendragon campaign, and it will have Greg's name on it adding more credibility. How well the art work and cover work to pull in people who are less connected I don't know, but I think that it will be a unique vehicle for selling the game, and therefore should be as well supported as possible. Hence the conclusion that if you pick up the new HQ, how to make the right heroes for TGAC should be dead simple, by starting at page 1 and going through page by page.

Creating other levels and types of heroes should also be supported, but if people have to work at it a bit more, or pick up other supplements, or whatever, I think that makes sense. For that matter I don't see a "HeroQuest: Major Heroes" supplement as a bad thing. Include rules for making heroes at major and epic levels, and include character sheets for most of the best known Gloranthan heroes. Yes, some people will buy it and use it to beat up Harrek, but if that is their idea of fun, what of it?

Regards;

-Bryan