Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_3Tqf6ayHxp4Fzo8-0F3TPVxnv8MSnaVQJ5vQzrcx9cZmO0vMhxFkQwxr-_W0Osbc>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:56:14 -0400

On July 16, 2007 04:01 pm, samclau_at_SqW_Vsuh8WEiHX4spYmGgnCOILl68HXmRoYOz1_tLsKyhK9ZozAWCFUngK8wd9Q4z-1-5sodXPgxZg.yahoo.invalid wrote:
> Greg:
> > This is a curious thing that happens with writing he rules down. I've
> > seen that a lot of people, in character generation, have just copied
> > he list of abilities for key words, when it says thy are samples, not
> > definitive.
>
> But you create a certain awkward situation with your sample list - is
> the player going to drop what might be useful? Is the narrator going to
> be a meanie and allow only a selection? IŽd guess that swapsies is more
> common than adding or subtracting, with feats.

I do. In fact, I've seen serious debates as to whether or not a keyword should be a limited list and swaps enforced.

Personally, I like the idea of using a keyword more like affinities - it's an augment only ability that you can improvise off of. It never needs to be listed. If you buy something that might fall under the keyword up, then it gets to be augmented by the keyword as a separate ability. It's worked fairly well, and it does avoid the whole "exhaustive list" issue.

> Wrt the personality traits, I think one quite often takes those as
> signifying something important about the culture, something we'll no
> doubt discover in play. Some just don't fit and you ditch them. Others
> sit there and can at times start to look out of place. Perhaps a fairly
> hefty list would be more useful so you cherry pick.

It would. Especially after the whole "Fear Dragons" issue.

> Finally, the same applies to spirits "1W to 20W". Rolling a die just
> seems a bit crude, but then so does an arbitrary decision of 5W. If it
> said on the page "5W", it'd be a fait bit easier.

I had my last animist player pick the 5 spirits he was starting with, took the average spread of abilities and gave him a number. He could then pick how to assign those points to the different spirits, and so have some reflection of what he had focused on finding stronger spirits for.

> That might explain some of your observation.

If you give a list, people will default to it. That's just human nature.