Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_vSxzwfgPCjzhSN1ZARcz3PFdNsQpSJNzgPuQTeNP5dMt5DE9yUveqSxWFx21>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:06:19 -0000

> > I recognize that some people want to play limited characters. I'd
> > argue that this should be an advanced option, not the default.

I'm not sure people want to play "limited" characters, as such. However, I think many people want to play characters who can adapt to changes of direction in a campaign. Character improvement mechanics are one way to provide for this.

This is one key way in which RPGs differ from fiction. In fiction, the characters are designed for the story. If a character doesn't fit the story, the author and editors alter either the character or the story before it's published. In an RPG, in contrast, character design happens before the story has been worked out, and any adjustments have to be made mid-stream, while the story is being told.

For example, going into one campaign, my player started out as a sailor and weather magician. He ended up a tribal priest thanks to many character improvements. And a good thing, too, because the story ended up being about the formation of a tribe, something nobody had anticipated at the outset.

I suppose an alternate solution would be for the GM to allow arbitrary character edits in the course of a campaign. But incremental character improvements following HQ-like rules might work just as well.

Rob