Re: Ho Much Rule fiddling Is Tolerable?

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_5wd7inef4A0rf1teIgtQcyo2WGLeII_EfkD-sZDdzXK0WjQ87yh9GXASVVZ3EjQzikY>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:13:25 -0000

Personally I think character advancement mechanics tend to be the most broken parts of practically all RPG systems. D&D has left a legacy that characters skill/power/ability has to grow with every act and accomplishment. Usually the mechanics are such that a 25 year old character will learn more in one year of adventuring than he/she had learned during all his/her life previously.

Saga style play is my favorite in this, where character development is slow and gradual, and happens over the seasons, years and decades. Fast developments come from gaining mythical artefacts, building social networks and of course heroquesting.

  -Adept : who usually has people create competent, even powerful    characters and slows any experience systems to 1/10 speed of    what is recommended in a source book.